Organics Drop Site
Dakota County residents can drop off organics such as food scraps and compostable paper products at the organics drop site at Thompson County Park in West St. Paul, or Holland Lake Trail Head, part of Lebanon Hills in Eagan. It is a free, convenient and easy way to manage organics and reduce the amount of trash sent to the landfill.
Step 1: Sign up to participate
- Sign up online, call 952-891-7557 or email
- You will receive a welcome kit in the mail with a container label, compostable bags and details on how to recycle your organics. You'll also receive the access code to the locked drop-off location
Step 2: Place an organics recycling container in a convenient location
- Use a container like an ice cream bucket, or purchase a counter top organics container.
- Line container with a paper bag or certified compostable bag. Compostable bags are free at the Dakota County organics drop off location. If using your own bag, check that it has the BPI (Biodegradable Products Institute) or Cedar Grove logo on the bag or box.
Step 3: Collect food and non-recyclable paper
- For a detailed list of acceptable and non-acceptable items, visit Dakota County's website
Step 4: Bring bagged organics to the drop off location
- Access the organics recycling enclosure using your access code.
- Place the filled bag in the container marked "organics recycling."
- Take a free compostable bag for next time.
Yard Waste Compost Site
What should I do with yard and tree waste?
It is illegal in Minnesota to place yard and tree waste (grass, leaves, small brush, plant materials) with your household garbage. This means it must be bagged in a compostable paper bag or reusable container and kept apart from your trash bin. Call your waste hauler on how to prepare your yard waste and fees associated with pick-up. You may also bring yard waste to a compost site.
South St. Paul Compost site
April 12th to September 1st
Friday, Saturday & Sunday - 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
September 6th to November 12th
Friday, Saturday & Sunday - 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
The compost site may not open for the day or close early based upon the weather conditions.
South St. Paul Compost Site is located off of Hardman Avenue and Verderosa Avenue. (681 Verderosa Avenue).
Coming from the west: 494 to Hardman, go north on Hardman Avenue to Verderosa. Take a right on Verderosa. Coming from the east: 494 to Hardman, go north on Hardman Avenue to Verderosa and take a right on Verderosa.
MATERIALS ACCEPTED: Leaves, grass, sod and garden waste (No wood chips or much is accepted.)
You may bring your compost in any type of bag or by the trailer load. Charges for yard waste disposal is $.50 per bag or volume based fee for truck loads.
Note: The compost site is no longer accepting brush/tree waste.
You may take your brush and tree waste for no charge to:
S & S Tree Horticultural Specialists, Inc.
405 Hardman Avenue South, South St. Paul
Saturday Only - 7:00 am to 12:00 Noon
For questions regarding brush and tree waste disposal only, please call: 651-451-8907
NO STUMPS ARE ACCEPTED
NO SIZE LIMIT ON TREE/BRUSH WASTE